Monday, July 26, 2010

Photo By Geoff Bilau - AngelsWin.com

Congratulations to Michael Kohn who compiled a 5-4 record, 11 saves, 2.15 ERA and a .179 BAA between Double-A and Triple-A this season. The Mighty Kohn struck out 57 batters in 46 innings of work.

Here's an interview we conducted with Michael Kohn almost a month ago. 

AngelsWin.com: Michael, you have moved up a level in each of the last two seasons. Tell us a little bit about your ascent to the big leagues and what it has been like?

Well first off I have been very blessed the last two season to enjoy a mid-season promotion last year with Rancho and this year with Salt Lake. So far it's been great but, still have a long ways to go and just have to keep working hard.

AngelsWin.com: When did you start playing baseball?

Michael Kohn: I first started playing baseball when I was about 4 years old.

AngelsWin.com: You were a hitter and pitcher in college, do you think being drafted as a relief pitcher was the right move?

Michael Kohn: Haha.. Yea being drafted as a pitcher was def the right move. Most of my teammates will tell you that I still think I can hit but I have put the bat down for a golf club.

AngelsWin.com: Who has been the most influential person (coach and personally) to the success you're having thus far?

Michael Kohn: Well, I have been blessed with a great family. My two great parents my Father Thomas Kohn, and my Mother Rebecca Sheheen along with my two great sisters Jessica and Mary. But if I had to say one person in my life who has inspired me the most I would have to say my Father because growing up and watching the work ethic he has and what he taught me I couldn't ask for a better role model. If I grow up to be half the person he is then life will be great..

AngelsWin.com: What part of your game do you take the most pride in?

Michael Kohn: Well, I take pride in all aspects of my game. So I don't think there is one that is bigger than the other.

AngelsWin.com: We hear that your fastball has some rise to it, that it's hard to hit. What's the highest speed on the radar that you can dial your fastball up to?

Michael Kohn: (Laugh) The highest I have ever hit was 97 mph.

AngelsWin.com: How is the breaking ball coming along? Do you see it as a true swing and miss, strikeout offering?


Michael Kohn: I have been extremely pleased with my new slider that I learned this year in big league camp. I still have some work to do with it but I guess you can say its a swing and miss pitch.

AngelsWin.com: What are the things you believe need the most work?

Michael Kohn: I am a firm believer of never being satisfied so in saying that all aspects of my game need work. I always say the day I am satisfied is the day I will hang it up.

AngelsWin.com: Which teammate and opponent in the Texas League and Pacific Coast League is in your opinion a future major league star?

Michael Kohn: That's a tough question since there are so many great players I have played with and against. As far as the Texas League Jordan Walden throws 100 mph so I can see him being a great major league player. Mike Moustakos is a pretty good hitter so I could see him doing great things in the big leagues.

I have so many good teammates in Salt Lake it would be pretty hard to pick one. I mean you got the Pete Bourjos who runs like a deer, Mark Trumbo who hits balls 500 feet, but if I had to say one guy who has a very bright future in my mind I would say Will Smith. He is only 20 years old and pitches like he has been around a long time. He is very hunger to do well so I can see him being a great starter in the big leagues. As far as opponents I haven't been here long enough to see all the teams but the young kid who just pitched against us in Tacoma, Michael Pineda I think is his name. He is also 20 years old and throws 98 mph and doesn't walk guys, so that's pretty impressive to do at 20.

AngelsWin.com: Which hitter in the Texas League and PCL have been the toughest get out so far this season?

Michael Kohn: Ha, they are all hard to get out.

AngelsWin.com: On the lighter side, what are some of your hobbies outside of baseball?

Michael Kohn: I love to hunt, play golf, and especially watch college football.

AngelsWin.com: What kind of music do you listen to?


Michael Kohn: I listen to all kinds of music country, R&B, rap, rock. Listen to it all

AngelsWin.com: What is your favorite movie?

Michael Kohn: I would have to say TinCup. Always loved that movie.

AngelsWin.com: Who is your biggest fan and the first person you call when you get promoted to the big leagues?

Michael Kohn: I am going to get in trouble for leaving some people off this list so forgive me. But my parents will get the first phone calls. After them will definitely be my best friend and my biggest fan Matt Sheheen. I talk to him along with my dad after every game good or bad. They are pretty much the only people I talk to if I do bad. Sorry Mom.


Thanks Chuck for having me. Take Care Michael Kohn.
Love to hear what you think!
Copyright © 2013 Los Angeles Angels Blog | AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com is the unofficial website of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Our comments and views do not express the views of the major league club or anyone affiliate with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.  AngelsWin.com blog content, articles and opinions are provided "as is" and without warranties of any kind.  We disclaim warranties, express or implied, including warranties for a particular purpose, accuracy, completeness, availability, security, compatibility and non-infringement.  Blog material, articles and other information furnished or supplied by you to AngelsWin.com become the ownership of AngelsWin.com for use at our discretion.  Your use of AngelsWin content is at your own discretion and risk. We do not warrant that any content here be error free that access thereto will be uninterrupted or errors will be corrected. We do not warrant or make any representations regarding  the use of any content made available through AngelsWin.com  You hereby waive any claim against us with respect thereto. AngelsWin.com may contain the opinions and views of other members and users. We cannot endorse, guarantee, or be responsible for the accuracy, efficacy or veracity of any content generated by our members and other users. The content of AngelsWin.com is intended for educational and entertainment purposes only. Such content is not intended to, and does not, constitute legal, professional, medical or healthcare advice or diagnosis, and may not be used for such purposes. Reliance on any information appearing on AngelsWin.com is strictly at your own risk. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. You should not act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in, or accessible through, the AngelsWin.com without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer or professional licensed in the recipient's state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.