Friday, October 17, 2014


As we celebrate our 10th anniversary at AngelsWin.com we've focused our attention on our writers, contributors, moderators & website members. Today we put the spotlight on our moderator, contest admin and long time member, Tom Anderson. Tom, who goes by "tomsred" on our forum is both an active contributor in discussions and has headed up our Gameday Prediction Thread contests over the past few years. Tom attends nearly every charity event and our popular fanfest events all year round and is just an overall great guy!  

Let's get to know Tom a bit more in today's Member Appreciation Interview.

AngelsWin.com: When and how did you first come to AngelsWin.com?

(tomsred): I used to participate on the Angels' official site message board for a few years. There got to be too many personal insults between posters, and then I found AngelsWin a few years ago. I'm happy we have a code of conduct, and good moderation. I also think the quality and depth of the posts here are far superior to any other baseball site I've found, plus all the wonderful articles and interviews are great too. It's also a wonderful way to keep up with the young players in the system.

AngelsWin.com: What keeps you coming back to the site?

(tomsred): It's like a one stop shop for anything and everything related to Angels news. If the news breaks, we get it posted here first with lots of good analysis. My wife became interested in baseball later in her life, but now it's her number one sport (it's been fun to see her so into it), and I like to get the news first before she does. It always disappoints her when I find out something Angels' related before she does. 

AngelsWin.com: What have been some of your favorite articles and threads?

(tomsred): This site has some terrific and imaginative writers, I like the really funny ones. I don't like to take baseball too seriously, but I'm still passionate about the Angels. I actually think baseball is a great sport to have fun with, so I love the funny stories that get posted, and especially all the great pictures and videos that frequently show up.

AngelsWin.com: What in-person events have you attended from AngelsWin.com (Spring/Summer Fanfests, Charity Golf, Charity Softball)?

(tomsred): My wife and I like to go to Tempe for Spring training, We go to the Spring Fanfest and a few games. I've done the charity golf, and the tailgate hangouts are great too. I gave up softball a number of years ago after I ruptured my right calf trying to decide whether to run to second, or return to first, on sinking line drive in a company softball game. The result wasn't good! I'm a Vietnam veteran, so I learned early in life to protect my body from bad stuff.

AngelsWin.com: Why is AngelsWin.com your internet home for the Angels?

(tomsred): It's so comprehensive and it's fun to have a specific interest like this that can be shared with others that have a similar passion. I am always amazed over the angles that some of these discussions can take, but I particularly like the ones that get on a roll and really poke fun at something. Some of you have a vivid imagination!

AngelsWin.com: In your opinion, what is AngelsWin.com’s best feature: the articles, charitable events, game-day chat, message boards, Fanfests, podcasts, etc?

(tomsred): Well, I like the message board (The Angels Daily is virtually the only message board I participate in anywhere). It's really great that this site has found some great charities to support, there are lots of needs in this community, so I would encourage that. The Spring training Fanfest is fantastic too, and it has really, really grown into a terrific event.

Ligther Side


AngelsWin.com: Where do you live and what do you do?

(tomsred): I live in Newport Coast. I am a retired Chief Financial Officer from several public companies in the military, aerospace, and computer industries. I work part time as a Corporate Director of a large semiconductor and electronic systems company in Orange County today. On the personal side, I like playing golf, and traveling in the Western U.S. with my wife and our two terrier dogs.

AngelsWin.com: Why are you an Angels fan?

(tomsred): I moved to Southern California from the Midwest in 1978, and instantly found Nolan Ryan and company, and I adopted them. I was living in Camarillo, and I could barely get the games on the radio, so I endured a lot of buzzing in my head from trying to position my transistor radio close to my ear for best reception. The big treat was going to the Stadium for a few games each year, but wow what a tough drive, and late night's before a work day, those were.

AngelsWin.com: What was your first Angels game that you remember? Who’d you go with?

(tomnsred): I'm sure it was in 1978, but I don't honestly remember. My very first game was to watch the Cincinnati Reds with my dad in their old Crosley Field, I never saw so many beer signs on a wall before, and everyone was smoking. I loved my baseball card collection, but it's all gone now. When we moved from Ohio to Michigan, my cards never got packed, I carried them in the car the whole way. The baseball game I remember the most was a game my wife and I attended in Chicago (while living there) in 1972, It was a White Sox doubleheader, and it was cold and rainy. My wife was pregnant, and the next day she gave birth to our daughter. That's baseball, it will even induce child birth, LOL.

AngelsWin.com: Who have been your favorite players? Why? Any great stories or interactions with them?

(tomsred): My favorite for many years was Brian Downing, and I still have his jersey. I try to wear it once each year, but it's getting harder and harder to put on. I hope it's because it shrinks every time it gets washed, but reality says that's a pipe dream. I never get tired of the Angels video of Brian Downing and Fred Lynn crashing together in the outfield against the fence that is in the pre-game video. That's Brian, he was all about winning, and going all out, all the time. Stradling and I have good taste when it comes to favorite players.

AngelsWin.com: How do you survive the offseason?

(tomsred): It's hard on me. I am not a big football nut, but I do like some college football, especially following Michigan State, where I went to college. I don't like hockey, and pro basketball isn't big on my list either. So I spend lots of time playing golf, chasing my two terriers around, and watching the MLB channel speculate on any and everything baseball related. But after a couple of months of the MLB channel in the off season watching that gets pretty old.

AngelsWin.com: What’s one thing you’d like everyone in AngelsWin.com to know about you?

(tomsred): I think laughter keeps you young, and I enjoy hanging out on the Angels Daily, telling funny stories, and sharing funny videos and pictures. I've also enjoyed administrating the Prediction Game threads and scoring it the past few years, it's been fun seeing a lot of folks get into it. In 2015 we hope to simplify and break it up it a bit with a new format, and get even more posters to participate than ever before. 
Love to hear what you think!
Copyright © 2013 Los Angeles Angels Blog | AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com is the unofficial website of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Our comments and views do not express the views of the major league club or anyone affiliate with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.  AngelsWin.com blog content, articles and opinions are provided "as is" and without warranties of any kind.  We disclaim warranties, express or implied, including warranties for a particular purpose, accuracy, completeness, availability, security, compatibility and non-infringement.  Blog material, articles and other information furnished or supplied by you to AngelsWin.com become the ownership of AngelsWin.com for use at our discretion.  Your use of AngelsWin content is at your own discretion and risk. We do not warrant that any content here be error free that access thereto will be uninterrupted or errors will be corrected. We do not warrant or make any representations regarding  the use of any content made available through AngelsWin.com  You hereby waive any claim against us with respect thereto. AngelsWin.com may contain the opinions and views of other members and users. We cannot endorse, guarantee, or be responsible for the accuracy, efficacy or veracity of any content generated by our members and other users. The content of AngelsWin.com is intended for educational and entertainment purposes only. Such content is not intended to, and does not, constitute legal, professional, medical or healthcare advice or diagnosis, and may not be used for such purposes. Reliance on any information appearing on AngelsWin.com is strictly at your own risk. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. You should not act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in, or accessible through, the AngelsWin.com without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer or professional licensed in the recipient's state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.