Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Report from: Arkansas - Wyndham hotel
April 8th, 2008 - By Brok Butcher

When I arrived in Arkansas I knew that the season has officially begun. We all flew over together with the same goal and aspirations in mind..... to excel at the Double A level and come together as a team to win the Texas League championship. We have an outstanding pitching staff here in Arkansas consisting of Fernando Rodriguez, Robert Mosebach, Steve Marek, Dave Austen, Kevin Jepsen and many other promising Angel prospects.

When it comes to hitting, we also have many prospects such as Hainley Statia, Coby Smith, Ben Johnson, Jordan Renz and Chris Pettit. Unfortunately for the Travelers, Chris Pettit is out for the season due to a freak accident resulting in a broken foot. I was able to speak with Chris before he departed for Arizona and he was surprisingly in good spirits, one thing I've noticed about Pettit while playing with him is that he never gets too high or too low. There is no reason to worry about issues out of your control, and to learn from the past but not dwell on it.

My first outing in Arkansas was decent. I went six innings, six hits, two runs, one walk, five strike outs and was lifted due to a eighty five pitch count. I had a good sinking fastball, but could not rely on my change up or slider as much as I'd have liked. As the game progressed, I felt better and better as I was getting into a grove but it was too little too late as my pitch count was getting too high. I am pleased with the outing but know I could have done better. Actually, I feel this way no matter how well or how poorly I pitch, I think every pitcher feels they could have done better regardless of the outcome.

My next outing is pushed back due to the great weather here in Arkansas. I have already experienced a tornado that touched down ten miles from our stadium. The shrieking sounds of the tornado sirens warned us to put our heads between our legs, and kiss our rear goodbye because this stage five twister could make any breaking ball look like a K-Rod save in the ninth! Definitely the most horrific natural disaster I have ever been a part of, in fact I was driving to the local Kroger Food Mart and a bolt of lightening touched down just behind my strength coach's 1992 Pontiac Trans Am muscle car. At first I feared for my life, but after appearing safe I was hoping the lightening bolt had given me the same fastball that the kid in Rookie of the Year was blessed with!

I am sitting here at the Wyndham hotel, yes the Wyndham, with my brother Jason and dad Gary! It is so nice to have my family here to support me when it feels as though you are all alone trying to navigate through the minor leagues. My dad's career was cut short because he got married and had a family and now is living vicariously through me and enjoying every moment of it. I can't think of a day that goes by that he doesn't remind me of how he can still bring it in the upper eighties at the salty old age of sixty three! When the three of us are together, the trash talking never ends with who was better in their day, but it's nice to know that we all have the same common denominator, the great game of baseball!

Thanks to all the fans of minor league baseball at Angelswin.com!

Love to hear what you think!

0 comments:

Copyright © 2013 Los Angeles Angels Blog | AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com is the unofficial website of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Our comments and views do not express the views of the major league club or anyone affiliate with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.  AngelsWin.com blog content, articles and opinions are provided "as is" and without warranties of any kind.  We disclaim warranties, express or implied, including warranties for a particular purpose, accuracy, completeness, availability, security, compatibility and non-infringement.  Blog material, articles and other information furnished or supplied by you to AngelsWin.com become the ownership of AngelsWin.com for use at our discretion.  Your use of AngelsWin content is at your own discretion and risk. We do not warrant that any content here be error free that access thereto will be uninterrupted or errors will be corrected. We do not warrant or make any representations regarding  the use of any content made available through AngelsWin.com  You hereby waive any claim against us with respect thereto. AngelsWin.com may contain the opinions and views of other members and users. We cannot endorse, guarantee, or be responsible for the accuracy, efficacy or veracity of any content generated by our members and other users. The content of AngelsWin.com is intended for educational and entertainment purposes only. Such content is not intended to, and does not, constitute legal, professional, medical or healthcare advice or diagnosis, and may not be used for such purposes. Reliance on any information appearing on AngelsWin.com is strictly at your own risk. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. You should not act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in, or accessible through, the AngelsWin.com without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer or professional licensed in the recipient's state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.