Wednesday, September 23, 2009



By Carl Gregory - AngelsWin.com Contributor

April 26, 2002

Ever notice one win can change your mind? The Angels won the final game of their series Wednesday, and suddenly I have had a spring in my step, and a smile on my face. My mood before wasn't so nice. Especially those two games against Oakland they should have won.

With the losses mounting, I've started to wonder why I became an Angel fan. My parents were indifferent to baseball, and my friends were mainly Dodger fans. It took sometime to remember.

It was back in the mid-seventies.

I was walking home from school one day when this older kid saw me and started angling over to me. I tried to change my course hoping to avoid him, but it was to no avail. He started walking with me, and by his ear was a small radio blaring an Angel game. The announcer doing the play by play, and most of the players I had never heard before. Every time the Angels got a hit or made a good play, he would announce to me "did you hear that?"

It didn't take me long to realize that he was mentally retarded. The announcer would warble that what's his name got a single. And now there were runners on first and third.

"Did you hear that?!!"

I told him yes, since it was impossible not to, and we walked a few more paces. I asked him questions about the players, and he was quite knowledgeable. Finally when we got to my house we said goodbye and he walked away, and suddenly he turned and nodded to his radio.

But even if this year the Angels slide out of contention, I will still be there for them. And as the new unknown announcers do the play by play, any time a good play is made or a solid hit, I will turn to anyone that will listen and remark:

"Did you hear that?!!"

Yes, I shouted back. Even though I was totally out of earshot of the radio.

Been an Angel fan ever since. I liked the Dodgers for a while, but quickly lost interest. I kept coming back to that team that always found a way to lose.

I saw my friend several times over the years, and he moved with his family to Texas. I hope he is still an Angel fan.

Someday the Angels will be in the World Series. Doesn't matter if they win or lose (OK it does J ). And there I am way up in the nosebleed seats looking down in wonderment. Sure people will tell me that they were always Angel fans, although every year they root for the team that wins the World Series.

That's my dream.

Can this be the year? Every April I believe so, and this year is no exception. If our pitchers can keep the balls in the park, and hitters can hit it out of the park, we have a chance. Of course that is easier said than done.

But even if this year the Angels slide out of contention, I will still be there for them. And as the new unknown announcers do the play by play, any time a good play is made or a solid hit, I will turn to anyone that will listen and remark.
Love to hear what you think!

0 comments:

Copyright © 2013 Los Angeles Angels Blog | AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com is the unofficial website of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Our comments and views do not express the views of the major league club or anyone affiliate with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.  AngelsWin.com blog content, articles and opinions are provided "as is" and without warranties of any kind.  We disclaim warranties, express or implied, including warranties for a particular purpose, accuracy, completeness, availability, security, compatibility and non-infringement.  Blog material, articles and other information furnished or supplied by you to AngelsWin.com become the ownership of AngelsWin.com for use at our discretion.  Your use of AngelsWin content is at your own discretion and risk. We do not warrant that any content here be error free that access thereto will be uninterrupted or errors will be corrected. We do not warrant or make any representations regarding  the use of any content made available through AngelsWin.com  You hereby waive any claim against us with respect thereto. AngelsWin.com may contain the opinions and views of other members and users. We cannot endorse, guarantee, or be responsible for the accuracy, efficacy or veracity of any content generated by our members and other users. The content of AngelsWin.com is intended for educational and entertainment purposes only. Such content is not intended to, and does not, constitute legal, professional, medical or healthcare advice or diagnosis, and may not be used for such purposes. Reliance on any information appearing on AngelsWin.com is strictly at your own risk. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. You should not act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in, or accessible through, the AngelsWin.com without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer or professional licensed in the recipient's state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.