Cubs Win, Cubs Win, huh?
By Bruce Nye - AngelsWin.com Columnist
This weekend the Angels storm into the northside of Chicago for a three game set with the Cubs. The Cubs are a storied franchise. It won’t be easy for the Angels. They have never played in Wrigley Field. Despite the storied history, the jokesters have had their way with the Cubbies.
Do you know what the Cubs fans call a winning team? Visitors
What do the Cubs and Twins have in common? Neither has won a World Series in their new stadium.
Okay, that’s unfair but consider this, since the Cubs last won the World Series:
· George Burns celebrated his 10th, 20th, 30th, 40th, 50th, 60th, 70th, 80th, 90th and 100th birthdays.
· Harry Caray was born and died.
· Man landed on the moon as did several home runs given up by Cubs pitchers.
· Prohibition was created and repealed.
· Alaska, Arizona, Oklahoma, Hawaii and New Mexico were added to the Union.
· There have been 13 Triple Crown winners and almost all credited Cubs pitchers.
· Flag poles that were erected to fly Cubs World Series pennants have rusted and been taken out.
Major League baseball got the idea of voting more than once on an All Star ballot from the city of Chicago. Vote early and vote often.
This weekend could be difficult for the Angels (they already won game 1 on Friday) because of Carlos Zambrano, the ace of the Cubs…..oops…. he is now in the bullpen. With Carlos Silva (he lost today) and uh….Ted Lilly who pitches tomorrow the mediocre Cubs will be….uh..interesting.
The club got rid of Milton Bradley last winter and was expecting to see a nice improvement in the club’s performance . Hmm….maybe it wasn’t Bradley after all. The Cubs are 30-37.
Okay, maybe this weekend won’t be too difficult after all. Hey Angels players and their fans, don’t miss Rush Street.