Tuesday, May 10, 2011

http://www.showmecenter.biz/Images/photos/Events/Cal-Ripkin-FeaturedqosS.gif

By David Kellams - AngelsWin.com Contributor

So I'm sitting in the Denver airport late this morning waiting for my delayed connection to God-awful-Orlando. I just finished reading the on-line article in today's Register about Tim Salmon and the satisfaction he feels for being a "lifer"...

It gets me to thinking about guys like Gwynn, Mattingly, Puckett and Ripken Jr... I swear to God - I'm thinking about what great ambassadors these guys are for their franchise and I'm shutting down my computer because my flight was finally about to board. I close my laptop and look up and Ripken is standing right in front of me...

It was a surreal moment... I seriously thought I was dreaming for about 90 seconds...

Now, I'm not an intrusive guy... Probably because I don't like crowds and I hate small talk... But I do love watching people's reactions (the artist in me, I suppose), so I'm checking out everyone else... and it takes a while... A few dudes do a double take... they're not sure and their balls aren't quite big enough - yet...

So here's Ripken, at 6-4 and a solid 230, decked out in black UnderArmor gear with "CER" embroidered luggage and those unmistakeble eyes. And he's just standing there - that's when I realize we're on the same flight!

So some late twenties kid finally bellies up to him about five minutes before we're cleared to board (thankfully for Cal). And the deluge begins... the kid talks to him for about three minutes and then a number of people pile on... Then Ripken is saved by the announcement to board - but he was amazingly gracious and shook everyone's hand, posed for pictures, signed whatever was put in front of him - he was great about it - I couldn't do that...

So I board the plane... and guess who is sitting across the isle - hahaha... But I still didn't say a word - for the whole 3 1/2 hr flight...

Then we land and we're exiting the plane... I thought about breaking down and saying something to him, but he had his hands full with his bags and a couple of personal items and he had to grab a chair in the terminal to finish getting his stuff together, so I kept walking...

Well I get about 50 yards from the gate and I look over - he caught back up to me... it was just me and him, so I broke down and said "it was a pleasure watching you all those years - you were one of the greats". He smiled, we shook hands and I told him about how I was reading that Tim Salmon article and how Tim had expressed such pride in being a "lifer" and how that article made me think of him and Gwynn, Puckett and Mattingly... He seemed to genuinely smile...

And HE continued the conversation! As we're waiting for the airport tram he says: "you know Tim and I share the same birthday"... I had no idea (maybe that's why he was smiling). He went on to tell me about how for so many years it seemed as though the O's and Angels were playing in a series during thier b-day (August 24 - wow! That's Adenart's B-day too!) - and the two of them use to exchange birthday wishes...

Then we board the tram and he asks me: "how long did Tim play for you guys?" I answered I thought it was 15 years, off the top of my head - I answered '92-'06... We exited the tram and parted ways...

What a great memory - and given the spirit in which I recalled Cal earlier that day, it was so pleasant to have that image validated... What a great ambassador... Just like Salmon reminds me, every time I've met him. We were so lucky and privileged to experience "Mr. Angel"... I'm sure the O's feel the same about Cal...
Love to hear what you think!
Copyright © 2013 Los Angeles Angels Blog | AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com is the unofficial website of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Our comments and views do not express the views of the major league club or anyone affiliate with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.  AngelsWin.com blog content, articles and opinions are provided "as is" and without warranties of any kind.  We disclaim warranties, express or implied, including warranties for a particular purpose, accuracy, completeness, availability, security, compatibility and non-infringement.  Blog material, articles and other information furnished or supplied by you to AngelsWin.com become the ownership of AngelsWin.com for use at our discretion.  Your use of AngelsWin content is at your own discretion and risk. We do not warrant that any content here be error free that access thereto will be uninterrupted or errors will be corrected. We do not warrant or make any representations regarding  the use of any content made available through AngelsWin.com  You hereby waive any claim against us with respect thereto. AngelsWin.com may contain the opinions and views of other members and users. We cannot endorse, guarantee, or be responsible for the accuracy, efficacy or veracity of any content generated by our members and other users. The content of AngelsWin.com is intended for educational and entertainment purposes only. Such content is not intended to, and does not, constitute legal, professional, medical or healthcare advice or diagnosis, and may not be used for such purposes. Reliance on any information appearing on AngelsWin.com is strictly at your own risk. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. You should not act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in, or accessible through, the AngelsWin.com without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer or professional licensed in the recipient's state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.