Thursday, October 9, 2014


This week we celebrate our 10th anniversary with an interview with long time member, yk9000. Paul brings intelligent (and controversial) topics for discussion to our forum, demonstrating a knack for getting things going when it comes to conversation threads on our website. A participant of our Softball Tournaments over the years, Paul has poured into AngelsWin.com in many ways over the years and we love him! 

Let's find out a little about yk9000 in this week's member appreciation post. 

AngelsWin.com: When and how did you first come to AngelsWin.com?

yk9000:  I came over from the ESPN site when most everyone else did - the Great Migration of 2004.

AngelsWin.com:  What keeps you coming back to the site?

yk9000:  The smart-aleck posters, as well as the informative posters.  I really like the forums.  I like reading points of view different from my own.  I know its a cliche, but I feel a kinship with a lot of people here, even though I have barely (or never) met them. 

My kids, years ago, jokingly referred to this message board as the "nerd board".  Nobody in my family even knows the name "Angelswin"... its just known as "the nerd board".  I like that.

AngelsWin.com:  What have been some of your favorite articles and threads? 

yk9000:  I liked the all-time greatest games articles.  I also like any thread, baseball related or not, that goes off the rails, in a direction completely opposite of its original topic.  Nutswingers vs. Failos is like catnip for me.

AngelsWin.com:  What in-person events have you attended from AngelsWin.com (Spring/Summer Fanfests, Charity Golf, Charity Softball)?

yk9000:  I've been to several softball games over the years, and have enjoyed every one of them.  I am not much of a fan of Spring Training, and as a CPA, it isn't in a convenient time, so I won't be making it out to Tempe.

I've made it to a few happy hours, and bailed on a couple others that I promised to attend - one of which Blarg made Raisin Roundies ( a running joke on one of the Hangout threads) for me.  I still feel bad about that.

AngelsWin.com:  Why is AngelsWin.com your internet home for the Angels?

yk9000: I get all the information I need in one stop.

AngelsWin.com:  In your opinion, what is AngelsWin.com’s best feature: the articles, charitable events, game-day chat, message boards, Fanfests, podcasts, etc?

yk9000: 1. Message boards.  2. Message boards.  3. Message boards.



Lighter Side



AngelsWin.com:  Where do you live and what do you do?

yk9000:  Lakewood, CA.  I am controller and compliance officer for an investment firm.

AngelsWin.com: Why are you an Angels fan?

yk9000:  I was born in Northridge, CA, but lived all over the country growing up.  I never really had a home team to root for until high school.  I lived in Maryland, and was a pretty big Orioles fan.  We moved back out to Southern California in 1983, and I found it harder and harder to root for a team across the country (this was pre-internet).  And, my team, the Orioles, went from having such homegrown talent, to signing free agents like Fred Lynn and Ray Knight, guys I had no connection with.  I think that is one of the reasons I don't like FA signings today.

Anyways, I went on my first date with my wife, Judy, in 1990 to an Angels game.  Her grandparents were original season ticket holders, and our seats were right behind the visitor's dugout.  It was an easy switch to make the Angels.  The early 1990s Angels teams were terrible, but the seats were great.  I got hooked on the Angels.

AngelsWin.com:  What was your first Angels game that you remember? Who’d you go with?

yk9000:  Spring 1985 - I went with my college buddy, Rich.  A day game against the A's, in the old Big A set up.  Upper deck, near the LF foul pole.

AngelsWin.com:  Who have been your favorite players? Why? Any great stories or interactions with them?

yk9000:  I like Scot Shields.  I loved those years of dominance from him, with little 'maintenance'.  Actually, I am pretty partial to anyone from that 2002 team (except the lousy startiing pitching).

AngelsWin.com:  How do you survive the offseason?

yk9000:  NFL Red Zone

AngelsWin.com: What’s one thing you’d like everyone in AngelsWin.com to know about you?

yk9000: Not one damn thing :)
Love to hear what you think!
Copyright © 2013 Los Angeles Angels Blog | AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com is the unofficial website of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Our comments and views do not express the views of the major league club or anyone affiliate with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.  AngelsWin.com blog content, articles and opinions are provided "as is" and without warranties of any kind.  We disclaim warranties, express or implied, including warranties for a particular purpose, accuracy, completeness, availability, security, compatibility and non-infringement.  Blog material, articles and other information furnished or supplied by you to AngelsWin.com become the ownership of AngelsWin.com for use at our discretion.  Your use of AngelsWin content is at your own discretion and risk. We do not warrant that any content here be error free that access thereto will be uninterrupted or errors will be corrected. We do not warrant or make any representations regarding  the use of any content made available through AngelsWin.com  You hereby waive any claim against us with respect thereto. AngelsWin.com may contain the opinions and views of other members and users. We cannot endorse, guarantee, or be responsible for the accuracy, efficacy or veracity of any content generated by our members and other users. The content of AngelsWin.com is intended for educational and entertainment purposes only. Such content is not intended to, and does not, constitute legal, professional, medical or healthcare advice or diagnosis, and may not be used for such purposes. Reliance on any information appearing on AngelsWin.com is strictly at your own risk. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. You should not act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in, or accessible through, the AngelsWin.com without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer or professional licensed in the recipient's state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.