Tuesday, October 28, 2014


As we celebrate our 10th anniversary at AngelsWin.com we've focused our attention on our writers, contributors & website members throughout the 2014 calendar year. Today we put the spotlight on Robert Cunningham. Robert, or 'ettin' (his member name on our community forum) has been a tremendous contributor to both online discussion and in-depth articles for our blog. Robert's pre-season article on Hector Santiago found its way on MLB Trade Rumors which later led to Peter Gammons joining our website. 

Let's get to know Robert a bit more in today's AngelsWin.com Member Appreciation Interview.

AngelsWin.com: When and how did you first come to AngelsWin.com?

(ettin): I first lurked back in late 2009 after the Angels had made it fairly deep in the postseason. The thought had popped in my head that maybe there were some Angels forums out there and when I did a Google search AW.com was the one that caught my eye. After about a year and a half I started actively posting and then, when the Angels signed Albert Pujols, I was inspired to write my first article, "Masterstroke" at the end of 2011. The rest has been history.

AngelsWin.com:  What keeps you coming back to the site?

(ettin): I love reading and writing articles about the Angels. I've pulled back from overly posting too much as I sometimes find myself getting a little too emotional in my responses. :) In particular I really like the Minor League reports, updates, and Top 50 Prospect List each year.

AngelsWin.com:  What have been some of your favorite articles and threads?

(ettin): Saltzer's articles really seem to strike a chord with me. "A Roll of Quarters" was one of my most favorite pieces in recent memory from anywhere on the Internet. I become particularly fascinated when I see a thread start that clearly has no meaningful existence and suddenly it snowball's sideways into some bizarre Twilight Zone episode of 10+ pages. I get sucked in somehow and feel simultaneously dumb and thrilled at the same time.

AngelsWin.com:  What in-person events have you attended from AngelsWin.com (Spring/Summer Fanfests, Charity Golf, Charity Softball)?

(ettin): Recently, for the very first time, I attended the Angels Fanfest tailgate just a few months back and got to meet many of the faces behind the e-sig's here on the site! In the future I'd like to attend more but that is currently dictated by my work schedule which has been very fierce over the last year and a half.

AngelsWin.com:  Why is AngelsWin.com your internet home for the Angels?

(ettin): The host, Mr. Richter, has been gracious in welcoming me into the AW.com writing community and so I use it as an outlet to share my opinions about Angels baseball with other great, like-minded individuals. As I pointed out above the articles and Minor League discussions fascinate me.

AngelsWin.com:  In your opinion, what is AngelsWin.com’s best feature: the articles, charitable events, game-day chat, message boards, Fanfests, podcasts, etc?

(ettin): The articles first and foremost but after attending a Fanfest event I can say that I'd love to attend more as I am able. I suspect the charity events are even more fun so I'll try to get to one in the coming seasons.


Ligther Side


AngelsWin.com:  Where do you live and what do you do?

(ettin): I live in Palos Verdes, CA and am an aerospace engineer working for Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems.

AngelsWin.com: Why are you an Angels fan?

(ettin): Growing up my parents would drive us on field trips from where we lived, in Santa Maria, CA, down to see Angels and Dodgers games. These were really great and I found myself particularly rooting for the Angels as time went by and really settled in as an Angels fan in the early 80's.

AngelsWin.com:  What was your first Angels game that you remember? Who’d you go with?

(ettin): Unfortunately I was  young kid when I attended my first game so I don't remember which one it was. I know I was with my mom, dad, and brother which was always a good thing! :)

AngelsWin.com:  Who have been your favorite players? Why? Any great stories or interactions with them?

(ettin): My favorite Angels hero was Brian Downing. Others over the years included Doug DeCinces, Bobby Grich, Bob Boone, Wally Joyner, Mike Witt, etc. For a while after my parents passed in the early to mid 90's I didn't watch for a while but players like Chili Davis and then later Darin Erstad, Vladimir Guerrero (rivals Downing in my book), Erick Aybar, Jered Weaver, Peter Bourjos, and of course Mike Trout. One time when I was about 13 years old my family was in Las Vegas and we were walking through the hotel we were staying at and I saw Rod Carew. I wasn't sure it was him at first glance but then I quickly became sure but couldn't work up the nerve to get his autograph.

AngelsWin.com:  How do you survive the offseason?

(ettin): Hot Stove, hot stove, and more hot stove. I notice that I tend to write more articles in the off-season than I do during the season so when I have time free from work I imagine I'll pump out some articles that everyone can either praise or lambast as needed! :)

AngelsWin.com: What’s one thing you’d like everyone in AngelsWin.com to know about you?

(ettin): I love my wife, Firozeh, and my three dogs, Blackie, Tweety Bird, and Bella! Love any type of games and in particular for the last 2 years I've wasted an inordinate amount of time playing League of Legends online under, unsurprisingly, the handle of 'ettinone'. Love baseball and space not necessarily in that order.
Love to hear what you think!
Copyright © 2013 Los Angeles Angels Blog | AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com is the unofficial website of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Our comments and views do not express the views of the major league club or anyone affiliate with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.  AngelsWin.com blog content, articles and opinions are provided "as is" and without warranties of any kind.  We disclaim warranties, express or implied, including warranties for a particular purpose, accuracy, completeness, availability, security, compatibility and non-infringement.  Blog material, articles and other information furnished or supplied by you to AngelsWin.com become the ownership of AngelsWin.com for use at our discretion.  Your use of AngelsWin content is at your own discretion and risk. We do not warrant that any content here be error free that access thereto will be uninterrupted or errors will be corrected. We do not warrant or make any representations regarding  the use of any content made available through AngelsWin.com  You hereby waive any claim against us with respect thereto. AngelsWin.com may contain the opinions and views of other members and users. We cannot endorse, guarantee, or be responsible for the accuracy, efficacy or veracity of any content generated by our members and other users. The content of AngelsWin.com is intended for educational and entertainment purposes only. Such content is not intended to, and does not, constitute legal, professional, medical or healthcare advice or diagnosis, and may not be used for such purposes. Reliance on any information appearing on AngelsWin.com is strictly at your own risk. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. You should not act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in, or accessible through, the AngelsWin.com without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer or professional licensed in the recipient's state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.